Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Six Months (1st Instalment)


--“Who are you?”

-- “What? Where am I?”

--“That’s not the answer of my question.”

--“I can’t understand, how am I brought……”

--“Just answer my question, I don’t have so much patience”

--“I am Ravi Kumar…”

--“Good, Shyam. You got the right person.”

 

Chapter One

Sunil works as a daily labour.  He has to bear bricks and cement bags to the building construction site from the dump. He used to work in a machine factory, earned a salary good enough to run a family of three. But days changed. Things became more difficult for him, ever since a machine took away two fingers from his right arm, leaving him unfit for operating machines. Well, he doesn’t want to look back now. Somehow he manages to run a three wheeler van with absence of two fingers.

            Sunil has a family of three -- he, his fifty years old mother suffering from paralysis and sister Suniti. She’s a teen, to be eighteen this year. ”Beauty” feels proud if it is spelled to describe her -- her eyes are ebony black; eyebrows are thin, perfectly shaped; she possesses a sharp nose, beautiful lips ready to be kissed gently. Her cheeks, hands, face, figure everything spoke of elegance, not perfect, but the natural beauty in her is enough to make a boy  give attention to her when she's in front of him and make him think ,”shit man! Am I never gonna see her again?”

            Sunil has also a temporary job to do, his right arm without two fingers doesn’t permit him to run a van full of bricks for a long time. Hence sometimes he has to take a break from his daily duties and then his only companion to help him earn is begging. Yes, begging is his “temporary job”. It doesn’t help him to earn a satisfactory amount, but he has to do it to fed his mother, at least his beautiful sister.

--“Sir,help me. Some rupees, please”, begs Sunil.

--“Just get away, bastard!”,shouts the “gentleman” being annoyed.

It hurts Sunil’s self-respect. He was a fit worker, now he has nothing just because he has lost his  fingers which is not even his fault. Though he begs, he believes that he doesn’t deserve this. Thus, his self-respect got struck with the arrogant behaviour of the man. He always had to quarrel with different people showing themhis attitude. Today was not an exception.

-“Excuse me Sir, if you don’t want to help then say it easily, but don’t behave like that…”

-“How dare you!”

-“Sorry sir, but I asked you gently, It’s okay you can’t but it is not the right way to…”

-“Just shut up you stupid! Look at you, what are you? A beggar! How dare you to talk to me like that?”

-“Sir, this is my job to earn food, money, you can’t bring disgrace on me just like that.”

-“Oh! Job? So what is your job? The great begging?”, he told in a humiliating tone.

-“Look sir, I can do anything for living for the sake of my family”.

The man looked at him, being silent for few seconds, he asked him in a low tone--

-“Really? You can do anything for living?”

-“For the sake of my family, yes I can.”

-“You want a job?”

-“What? Are you joking with me?”

-“No, absolutely not, I really have a vacant post for one of my business.”

-“What’s that?”

-“I will tell you later. Just say do you want this job?”

-“Surely,  Sir!”

   The man keeps a slight smile at the corner of his lips and said,

-“Then you’re in.”

 

CHAPTER TWO

6 months later…

-- “Esplanade, Park Street -- two murders, both brutal. Caught because of evidences -- no evidence was hidden by him. I haven’t seen such a stupid murderer in my police career.”

-“I’m not stupid.”

-“You shut up!”

-“No I won’t. I absolutely did the right thing, there’s no feeling of guilty in me.”

-“Are you insane? You killed one renowned businessman with a gun and pierced a knife into the brain of his assistant and you are just saying you aren’t feeling guilty?”

-“I do what they deserved.”

-“God, you are a fucking psycho!”

-“Everyone assumes that, no one wants to hear the real story, the whole society is corrupted.”

-“Look, stop talking, I have important work to do rather than enlightening myself with your great knowledge of fucking corruption.”

-“As I said, no one wants to hear.”

-“Ah, Mr.Bakshi! Come, come, please take your seat, Sir.”

The inspector welcomes, ignoring the statement made by the accused, Mr.Bakshi, the best criminal lawyer in Kolkata. The inspector says again,

-“So you are the lawyer of the accused.”

-“Yes.”

-“Sir, he just murdered two men and left all the evidence around, everybody knows that. How are you going to win the case? He’s a murderer and it is decided.”

 Mr.Bakshi smiles slightly. ”Let me have a chat with my client, please.”

-“Sure, Sir, this way. Vikram?”

-“Yes, Sir?”, answered Vikram, the sub-inspector.

-“Lead Mr.Bakshi to him.”

-“Sure, Sir.”

Vikram led Mr.Bakshi to the accused.

-“Hello Sunil.”

-“Hello Mr. ?”

-“Bakshi.”

-“Yes, how can I help you?”

-“I want something from you.”

-“Me? Huh! What can I give you sir? I’m a murderer!”

-“I want that thing that you always wanted to give but nobody cared.”

-“Wha-what are you talking about? What do you want?”

-“Your story.”

-“You want my story!”

-“Yes Sunil, I want to have your story, please.”

 To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment